Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Isabel Cookies

   This month marks the 5 year anniversary of Isabel being diagnosed with Anencephaly.I have reflected on her life many times, even putting it down into words here. As a parent it is hard to "move on." I am ALWAYS thinking of her, thoughts of what our time with her was like lurk in my mind permeating all my thoughts. Sometimes, when I am really missing her, I reach out for one of the 3 things she enjoyed most on this Earth" popcorn, Barq's root beer, and Butterfingers. There wasn't many days that went by while I was pregnant that I didn't have a Butterfinger and a Barq's root beer. And we still remember her in that way.
   However, I wanted to think of a way to honor Isabel in my favorite dessert, chocolate cookies. Today it hit me like a ton of bricks: ADD IN BUTTERFINGERS! And wouldn't you know it, I am going to a running event with my running group and will need something to share with everyone. And since I run for Isabel, I couldn't think of a better treat to bring.  So I dug into my stash and made these little yummies today. The crushed Butterfinger almost makes the whole cookie taste like a Butterfinger. How bad can that be?
Mmmmm. Drool! You know you want some.

Isabel Cookies

 Ingredients:

¾ c. unsalted butter, softened
¾ c. brown sugar
¼ c. granulated sugar
1 egg
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 c. bittersweet chocolate chips
1 regular sized Butterfinger, crushed

Directions:


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and blend. Mix flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Stir in Butterfinger and chocolate chunks. Drop by tablespoon onto prepared cookie sheet. Back 8-10 minutes, until barely golden brown around the edges. DO NOT OVERBAKE! Makes around 3 dozen cookies.

  These are really hard for me to resist. But since I need to take some tonight and wanted some for my freezer for my family coming this weekend, I have managed to only eat one. Hey, I have to taste test! I wouldn't want to take something gross to the group!

So go. Enjoy. And do it right by savoring these with a Barq's root beer. It is a magical combination.

I bet this was a scratch and sniff picture, don't you?


 

2 comments:

  1. Those look delish! I'll have to try those sometime. Thanks for posting the recipe, Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you like them as much as my family and friends did this last week. They are pretty hard to resist.

    ReplyDelete

Here on this blog, everyone is a friend. I would love to read what you have to say, just keep it polite and clean. And may the run be with you.