By the end of mile 1, I knew I would have to walk. My calf cramped, my thighs were killing me. I walked a little, then ran only to have more cramping and pain. My back, not to be outdone by my feet, started cramping also. I ended up running about 1.75 miles. After such a terrible run, I started lamenting to Mark how we should just quit Jillian. She is nuts, I said. She is out to kill me. I hate her! Then we went home to more charely horses and tired legs. Not my best run or run day.
Today, I partook in round 2 of Jillian. She still killed me. But, I also must admit, she is making me stronger and more ripped. I guess I can't fault her for delivering on her promise. Then, as I sat on my sore bum to Facebook before Addison awoke, I stumbled on Josh's blog entry about his favorite things about running. After reading his impressive list, I knew right then and there I needed to focus on what I love about running. So here in no particular order is my favorite things about running so far this spring.
- Time away from Addison. I love her, but every mom needs to miss their child a little to love them more.
- Being able to just focus on me and my thoughts for a while. There are no dishes or laundry during your run.
- Spending time thinking of Isabel. I honestly feel like she is closest to me while I run.
- Being outside.
- Old running shoes (left) that show every mile you ran.
- New running shoes (well, newer, on the right) so full of running promise.
- That feeling you get when you hit your pace and feel like you can go for miles and miles.
- Going miles and miles.
- When your new favorite running song comes on just as you hit the half way mark in your run.
- Saturday runs when all the other runners are out nodding that knowing nod at you. Makes me run longer and happier every time.
- Being in the beginning of a half marathon training schedule.
- Being in the middle of a half marathon training schedule.
- Realizing that you too can run 13.1 miles if you had too. And, trust me, I want too.
- Counting down the days until your running season starts (17 until the SLC 5k!).
- Running with your sweetheart. I love every moment of watching him run faster, further, and happier than I do. Seriously.
- A new running playlist. I still get surprised by the best songs we picked.
- Personal pep talks during hard runs. I still learn so much about myself every mile I run.
- Finding new people who want to join in my running journey. I wish everyone I knew ran!
I am sure I could list 100 more things, but this is the best of the best, for right now. Sure, it isn't always easy running, but I love it. What keeps you running? What do you love best?