Monday, July 9, 2012

The 6AM Run

   If you know me, you know I am not a morning person. I am a total night owl and I don't believe anything should happen before 9AM, minus ultrasounds. I can manage to get to my pregnancy ultrasounds that early without complaint because they are worth getting up that early for. Oh, and so is flying. And debate tournaments. But I digress.
   Because of yet another heat wave I have decided not to put off my runs until Mark gets off of work because even my indoor runs are unbearable that in the afternoon heat. And after my heat exhaustion I decided I needed to not do that again. So this week I am going to have to go running before Mark leaves for work at 7:30AM (Mark IS a morning person. Yeah, a Vegas trip is interesting with us. I could party all night and he can't. But he is ready to go at 8AM). Thus, I had to get going at 6AM to have my 3 miles in in time. Addison got me up 10 minutes before my alarm goes off, just like she usually does Daddy. So after a quick nurse, I got up and ate before heading to the treadmill. I had decided before I fell asleep last night that I needed to do some sprinting work in order to get faster. Lets face it, I don't have time with Addison to have 3+ hour runs when I get up to 10-13 mile runs, so I better start getting faster now. So the plan, finish every mile with a 30 second sprint. The run went really well. I actually got 4 really good sprints in, the last one lasting a minute. And instead of running at 3.8, I was able to run at 4.0. with 5.0-6.0 sprints. YAY! PROGRESS!
   And while I was able to finish 3 miles in under 45 minutes (it's a record), I was not able to escape my after run headache. I know it is because I tense up while running, and I am working on it, but I obviously still have some work to do. But I am still quite happy with my run today and can't wait to get in my remaining 12 miles this week.
   Oh, and I figured out my first 13.1 dry run will be on September 8, so Mark and I are trying to figure out what would be a good reward for reaching our goal then. I am thinking a Salt Lake date, but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here on this blog, everyone is a friend. I would love to read what you have to say, just keep it polite and clean. And may the run be with you.